Ward 6 Transportation Planner
District Department of Transportation
2000 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009
P (202) 671-2555
F (202) 671-0617
The District Department of Transportation, along with a consulting team
from Michael Baker Corporation, is embarking on a study of the H Street
NE Corridor. The H Street NE Corridor Transportation Study will focus on
ways to improve transit, pedestrian facilities, parking, and reduce vehicular
impacts on the corridor. It will also lay the groundwork for improvements
to the streetscape along H Street, including the sidewalks, lighting, trees
and other elements.
Study Goals and Objectives
- Build on the H Street NE Strategic Development Plan.
- Listen to residents, shop owners, and other stakeholders throughout
the study/planning process.
- Support the development of the Corridor into a more vibrant commercial
and residential neighborhood by improving transportation throughout
- Lay the groundwork for future transportation investments.
- Recommend balanced design and management strategies that encourage
the efficient and safe movement of all users and:
- Increase short- and long-term transit connectivity;
- Improve safety and efficiency of movement for pedestrians and bicyclists;
- Support and manage existing and future demand for parking;
- Reinforce a sense of place and uniqueness through creative urban and
streetscape design and public art, and create a safe, inviting, and
interesting public realm that supports diversity in use and activities;
- Improve vehicular connectivity, while still meeting the needs of pedestrians,
bicyclists, transit vehicles and riders, and commercial loading.
Elements of the Study
- The Study Area can be viewed here.
- View the H-Street Traffic Simulation.
- A series of Advisory Committee, ANC and community inputs will inform
every phase of the Study.
- As a part of public outreach programs, the following initiatives
will be undertaken:
- 4 Public Meetings and 1 walk down H Street
- 2 Community Charrettes
- Hand, email and mail distribution of meeting notices
- Radio announcements on local stations;